Are you someone that gets sick often throughout the year?
What you eat can suppress or boost your immunity!
Don’t wait until you are sick to get better. It will take twice as long to recover if your immune system is suppressed.
With the kids back in school, germs seem to spread like wild fire. Cold and flu season is just around the corner.
Here’s what you can do to help boost your immunity.
Digestive health is key to keeping your immune system healthy.
Approximately, 70-80% of your immune tissue is in your digestive tract. There are tens of trillions of microorganisms living in your gut. Keeping your gut flora in balance will help boost your immunity to fight off infection.
It’s not so much the food in themselves that prevent you from being sick. It’s food that helps support your digestive system and liver. These are two areas in your body that help keep you healthy in the first place.
Here’s what you can do:
- eat cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, radish, etc.
- include a rainbow of vegetables and fruit in your daily meal plan
- take a high quality probiotic supplement
- take a high quality vitamin d3 supplement
- include fermented foods in your diet to boost your gut bacteria
- sip on homemade bone broth regularly
- eat seasonally, it has a profound ability to improve your gut health
- eat zinc rich foods like shellfish, eggs, legumes, nuts and seeds to name a few
- drink lemon water first thing in the morning to alkalize and oxygenate your blood
- use lots of fresh herbs in your meals – they have anti-viral/bacterial properties
- eat shiitake, reishi or even regular mushrooms in your meals often
- replace coffee with green tea or matcha tea (there is also lions mane mushroom coffee!)
- add ginger to your tea and meals
- cook with garlic & onions
- take elderberry syrup daily
- ditch the chemicals you are using in your home, they disrupt the good bacteria in your gut
Do you need to do everything? No, but doing quite a few would be most beneficial. It could look something like this.
Wake up, drink fresh lemon water, take your supplements, start your day with veggies and a high quality protein,
Here’s what you should stay away from if you want to keep your immune system healthy
- processed foods
What to do if you get sick? Here’s ways to help you recover quicker:
- drink bone broth regularly
- rest as much as you can and give your body time to heal
- drink echinacea tea
- Echinacea herb
- Elder flower tea or elderberry syrup (you can take elderberry syrup every day)
- Ginger and lemon tea
- Turmeric golden milk or tea
- Shiitake or Reishi mushrooms
- Green tea
Using essential oils is also another great way to boost your immunity. I love and use doTERRA brand because I know they are of high quality.
doTERRA On Guard protects against environmental and seasonal threats with essential oils known for their positive effects on the immune system when ingested. I use this particular oil on the bottoms of my feet after my shower. It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. When diffused, doTERRA On Guard helps purify the air, and can be very energizing and uplifting. They also have caplets you can ingest and take on a daily basis.